Our History

Edward E. Pinkham founded the agency in 1888 when he was appointed by the Hartford Fire Insurance Company.  The agency was passed through several hands until its purchase in 1931 by Carl W. Lohnes who, after renting an office on Lower Main Street in Schaghticoke, built a small office building on the corner of Main and 2nd Streets where the agency remained until its move to its present location at 1549 NY 67 opposite the Hoosic Valley High School in 1967.  Brothers, Richard and Robert Lohnes, operated the agency until in 2000 Richard sold his interest in the agency to Charles A. Smith.  Robert retired several years later and the agency is now owned and operated by Charles A. Smith.  From our beginning we have enjoyed a steady growth over the years and have become recognized as one of the leading agencies in the area.  We have earned our reputation for professionalism due to the special attention given to the needs and requirements of our clients.